Having a kitchen splashback is a necessity in a well-used kitchen; it is there to protect your kitchen wall from splashes, grease marks and stains. There are numerous websites and high street stores that sell kitchen splashbacks. It’s vital that you choose a durable and long-lasting splashback. They are available in many different materials, but splashbacks made from acrylic or glass top the sales list, and mirror sheets are also available.
While choosing between the two materials, keep in mind that the right kitchen splashback will need to fit both your design and technical requirements.
Below are a few things that you need to keep in mind while buying a kitchen splashback:
- Price – The first thing you need to consider while buying a kitchen splashback is the price. An acrylic splashback is cheaper than a splashback made from glass. If you’re on a tight budget then a plastic or acrylic splashback is the best call.
- Heat resistance – A crucial characteristic while selecting the material of a kitchen splashback is its heat resistance. Toughened glass can withstand temperatures up to 400°C. Most acrylic splashbacks are not suitable for use with a direct heat source such as the rear of gas or electric hobs (they have a heat resistance of up to 160°C).
- Durability or longevity – When you invest money in something, you expect it to last a long time. Glass splashbacks are made of toughened glass and are therefore relatively strong, but they can still crack if knocked by a frying pan or any other kitchen equipment. Acrylic splashbacks, however, are tough and virtually impact resistant so they are able to withstand daily knocks.
- Easier to mount – Glass weighs a lot more than acrylic splashbacks, so they need strong adhesive to support them. Plastic sheets or acrylic splashbacks are light in weight and are therefore easier to apply. Glass splashbacks are prone to breaking or cracking. So, if you choose a glass splashback over an acrylic splashback then be sure that you call a professional to mount the splashback for you.
- Preferable colours – While deciding upon a kitchen splashback, colour can be an important deciding factor. A wide range of colours are available in both glass and coloured acrylic splashbacks. It is easy to find the right colour for your kitchen, no matter which material you choose.
- Easier to clean – Cleaning your kitchen is always a daunting task and you don’t want to add to it by buying a kitchen splashback that will be difficult to clean. Glass splashbacks are prone to collecting dust and fingerprints and so regular cleaning is required, though this is easily done with a wet cloth. While acrylic sheets are prone to scratching, you can clean them with warm water and soap, they also don’t attract dust and therefore will remain cleaner for a longer period of time.
Of course, the final decision goes to the buyer when choosing a kitchen splashback, but keeping some of these things in mind will help when looking at the products available.